Card

Card
Good pubs, Good Beer, Good People

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Raising a Pint to Poe


Today I raise my glass to a favorite American author of mine whose birthday is today: Edgar Allan Poe. His famous poems are legion: The Raven, The Bells, Annabel Lee...His short stories are indelibly stamped on the national fabric: The Tell-Tale Heart, The Fall of the House of Usher, Hop-Frog, The Cask of Amontillado...this troubled and oft-maligned inventor of the detective story was found face down in a Baltimore gutter in 1849 and died after just 40 short, but tempestuous, years on this earth.

For his birthday, one of his lesser-known quotes: “Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; What care I how time advances? I am drinking ale today.”

No comments: